Monday, August 28, 2006

Rainy Day

New York is having another rainy spell. It rained all day yesterday, and today looks like it won't be much different. I don't mind. In fact, I rather like it. Rainy days make me feel cozy and relaxed. They're the perfect excuse to curl up on the sofa and watch a movie, or to stay in bed all day reading a great book.

Granted, they're not as much fun when you have to get out of bed and slog to work in your flip-flops. Those spittle sprays that flip-flops leave on the back of your calves are so annoying. But, being cooped up in my office when it's rainy and gray outside is far better than when it's sunny and all I can think about is how much I wish I were at the Park.

Today, perhaps because the rain has put me in a good mood, I'm feeling oddly productive. I'm not going to question it. I'm just going to run with it and try to keep my blogging and celebrity site reading to a bare minimum.

The painting is by Monet, one of my favorite artists. I don't like this painting so much from a distance, but at close range the movement in the waves is quite impressive. If you look carefully, you can imagine the sound of the wind whipping around you and the feel of the saltwater sprays hitting your face.

I love standing on beaches in the middle of storms watching the ocean. My ideal place to live would be on a cliff overlooking the ocean, similar to the one pictured in the painting but with trees and a house, and a narrow path leading down from the top of the cliff face to the beach below. How awesome would that be?

1 comment:

Buttercup said...

Ally Bean, Good point. I'm not sure that you can, but I think I would find the noise soothing. It works a bit like hypnosis on me. Plus, from the clifftop, the noise would be somewhat muted.