Friday, December 22, 2006

Happy Birthday To Me!

Today, shockingly and unbelievably, I turned 32! I have all these thoughts percolating about my 31st year and where I am right now in the present moment, and eventually I'm sure a decent post will come out of it all. But for now, I have no time to indulge myself in looking anywhere but at my Christmas to-do list, which still contains a few gaps that I need to fill in with gifts for family members.

Thankfully, traveling from New York to Houston came off without much delay. I feel for all the poor people stuck in Denver! I was so tired this morning because after Em's party I ended up going back to my place and cleaning and packing until almost 3 am. Waking up this morning at 7:30 was not fun. But, I rallied and since I got to my destination on time I really have nothing to complaint about. Em's party was great and the food was delicious. She and her boyfriend M made vegetarian stuffed shells and asparagus just for me! So sweet! She also had these delicious chocolate-mint cookies that a friend of hers had brought (made with melted andes candies swirled atop each chocolate cookie) and Mississippi mud pie. Not a bad spread by any standard.

In terms of birthday celebrating, my mom gave me my presents after we got back from the airport. She got me a beautiful cashmere sweater from Ann Taylor and a gift certificate to Ohm Spa, a spa Bean discovered for us, along with a book of three of Jane Austen's novels. My mom's awesome like that. I'm so excited to get back to the city to use my certificate. Heavenly massage, here I come. I also just recently heard (at Em's actually) that the Red Door and Oasis Spa were also good spas in the City. They're now on my list. I also got wonderful calls from my friends wishing me Happy Birthday. Two even sang in their messages! I'm a lucky girl. Nothing else of note has happened today, except that the guy sitting next to me thought I was 26 or 27. Excellent! Apparently his eye sight is failing him which explains why he did not note my traitorous smile lines and grey hairs.

But enough of that, it's my birthday and I'm off to shop and then going out to dinner with my mom at some snazzy place in The Woodlands. I might see my brothers too, which would be cool. Today, when Bacchus asked me how old I was, I said "28," and he said, "I didn't realize we were twins." Yep, it's true Bacchus; we've reached that point. This is as old as I'm getting. Bacchus and Frey will soon have what they've secretly coveted, the uncontested right to call themselves the oldest in the family. I no longer feel the need to defend that title.

7 comments:

Buttercup said...

Ally Bean, I'm lucky to be able to spend some QT with my mom. Have a wonderful holiday! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, you freaking youngster

Buttercup said...

Sparky - You just made me laugh. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! No way is 32 old. Because I refuse to be old! At least until I'm 40.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Buttercup!!! Welcome home to Texas. I'm here now, too, and I'd love to get together soon.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Buttercup!!!! Sounds like a great day :) Enjoy your visit home for the holidays!

Anonymous said...

Happy late birthday! I hope it was fabulous.