Saturday, November 18, 2006

Inspired

I went to a wonderful feminist conference today focusing on violence against women and the most recent UN report on the topic. Catherine A. MacKinnon, one of my former law school professors was the key note speaker and she was amazing as usual. I bought her new book, "Are Women Human?: And Other International Dialogues" and am looking forward to reading it this week in Houston. A lot of the conference dealt with two of my favorite women's rights topics, trafficking and prostitution, and it was quite inspiring. More on that later.

I'm getting out of NY for the next week (though I will be blogging) to rest, clear my head, and hopefully get some perspective on my immediate future. It's been a long time since I had a week to do nothing; most vacations I try to run around and see as much as possible, and though I have a great time, I often end up feeling like I need a vacation to recover from my vacation!

But this week, I'll just be hanging out in Houston with my family. I'm looking forward to a lot of sleep, time to get in some runs, reading, knitting and relaxing. I also need to do a bunch of mental house-keeping. Of course, at the end of the week there will also be Thanksgiving and my mom's famous sweet potato dish topped with toasted marshmallows. Yum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great and relaxing week and think of all the things you're thankful for. Know one thing I'm thankful for? Being able to read your blog. :)

Buttercup said...

Gypsy - You are the sweetest ever. I wish you were in Texas too. It would be fun to grab a cup of coffee. I'll try to think what I'm thankful for.